Thursday, October 13, 2011

Blog 8

We are able to multitask anywhere and everywhere. He talks about how research now can now be done without ever stepping foot in a library or actually reading physical books. We have virtual books now. Also he shows how we can communicate and and put together not only written documents but sound documents and visual documents made only of information off the web and the information that was circulated around the university.

In part two he talks about computers/laptops is where we work and do most of our research . “Ideas don’t belong to us individually but to as a culture” . Talks about a future of not necessarily composing ideas on a word processing program but composing documentary using new programs such as the one he and his partner are learning how to use. Talks about how the new technologies and the availabilities of new programs make thoughts and ideas more easily accessible and can push to a much wider audience now. In the Looking Ahead portion of his talk he talks about how people are now using the web to compose new things. New ideas and creative ways of aggregating information on all parts of the world.

I enjoyed listening to both parts of his clips. Dr. Miller has surely put much thought and reasearch time to back all of his points. I do agree with his statement about needed to create a way to develop a curriculum to help teach students how to use and how to write using the new technologies. I know that one day all this will be possible with the giant leaps we are already making it is only a matter of time.

CARLY PUGH
I really enjoyed ready Carly’s post. She is such a creative, smart, and intelligeint young lady. She has definitely raised the bar for me. I thought I had set the bar high already but reading her post I realized it still needs to be raised more. I love every single one of her video clips. I think her idea of making this an assignment is wonderful but extremely time consuming. It is a wonderful idea because it makes you look internally at what you want and how you want to help those students who you will have in your classroom. Also as a teacher you need to know you own personal philosophy that way you can grow and change as you become a more experienced teacher.

THE CHIPPER SERIES/ EDM310 FOR DUMMIES
I enjoyed both of these videos. The first The Chipper Series was cute. A little long but had a very good message at the end. The second clip EDM310 for Dummies was halarious. So far I have not had many of those frustrating times only when I “procrastinate” and then I have to do everything in one or two days. But that is no fault but my own. As for videos that I think I could create and be beneficial I would like to do something trying to show how to set up a blogger account. Doing some tutorials for different crafts that I enjoy doing. Also reading books and turning them into movies for my future students.

LEARN TO CHANGE/ CHANGE TO LEARN
All this time we have been discussing how technology is changing how we teach and learn, this video reemphasizes all this again and takes it one step further. I am going to be honest and say that before this video I truly had not been aware of how much change the school system structure with have to undertake in order to accommodate most of the new technologies we have been talking about over the last few weeks. I am not sure how most school are but I feel unless we do things to help with our own communities and unless the federal system really gets on the ball the education systems in America will go down hill. I know the new technologies cost money to incorporate so due a few test cases and see how much it helps and then start slowly incorporating into all the classrooms starting at the top working your way down to the lowest grades. I feel very strongly this needs to be encouraged by teachers of today and of the future. Computers and other technologies are such a part of children’s lives (of every one's life) that a statement made on the video “ when you shut off a computer/ cell phone you essentially shut off that student” really made me realize that this is really true and in a way sad.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    Thanks for the props :) I appreciate what you had to say. And the post was time consuming but only because I got so into it. The more I watched, the more ideas I had, the more videos I wanted to watch and to my playlist, and time just flew by. I think there should be at least one assignment, if not more, that EDM310 students should really get into! There is something for everyone and their varying talents and interests. If you have decided to raise the bar for yourself, I think this should be your new bar: find what you really love doing with EDM310; whether it's the videos, SMARTBoards, commenting, or one of the blogs/videos required for an assignment. Hopefully something will stand out that will reveal more to you about yourself and this may be a specialty for you to explore in your career. When you find it, please tweet me :) I would love to know!
    Also, I have one last suggestion. Be sure to use complete sentences, not this: "Talks about a future of not necessarily composing ideas.." Complete sentences look more professional to the teachers and administrators who may be reading your blog.
    Thanks for sharing! Your ideas opened the door for this great discussion!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carly for your response. Making sure I have complete sentences has been more of a challenge than I originally thought it would thanks to texts and facebooking. I will try and be more aware of how and what I am writing from here on out. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete